WxArt2D is a library for 2D graphical programming. WxArt2D is built on top of the wxWidgets Graphical primitives and other objects are derived from the base canvas object and managed in a document. The objects in this document are read from a file or created by the source code. The drawing document can be made hierarchical by adding child objects to a parent canvas object. Because a canvas object is reference counted, there can be more the one parent on the same canvas object. A unique part, or level, in the hierarchy can be referenced and drawn at different locations. Views are used to display the contents of a document in a device context. A document traverses itself, starting at a chosen level in the hierarchy and with a given viewport. Everything that it encounters within the viewport will be displayed as a view in the device context. The device context may be a window, a bitmap or even a file. A view is used to display certain parts of a document, but at the same time it has an internal drawing context (a2dDrawer2D ) assigned to it. While traversing a a2dCanvasDocument , for example (a2dCanvasView ), the drawing context assigned to it is used by the view for the drawing the document. Everything that is drawn from within a document, is achieved by calling drawing methods on a view's drawing context. Drawing context implementations are derived from a2dDrawer2D . One can switch the internal drawing context of a2dCanvasView on the fly. For example to switch between anti aliased rendering and normal wxDc based rendering. A document can have several views open at the same time. Each view can display different parts of the document.
- Highly optimized rendering strategy for drawing and redrawing a hierarchy of 2d objects.
- Updating changes in the document to the views takes place in idle time, with minimum effort for the user.
- Coordinates are in world (doubles or integer), and objects are placed relative to parent object(s) with a matrix.
- The visible part of a drawing and its size as shown on a window or bitmap can be set independently of the data within the document itself.
- The document containing the hierarchy of 2d objects, can be displayed as several views.
- Tool Classes to edit the displayed objects in a view.
- Data can be read from a file and written to a file in SVG or CVG. New graphical file formats can easily be added.
- a2dCanvasObject is the base class for all primitives in a document, it can intercept/receive events in the same manner as wxWidgets handles events.
- Complex canvas objects for displaying curves with markers are available.
- Objects can be connected via pin objects, this makes graph, diagram display and editing possible. Pins can be added at run time as children of the a2dCanvasObject itself.